May 08, 2007

Proud vs. Vain

I went to see Pride and Prejudice (a stage version) and the theatre the other night, and at one point, one of the Bennet sisters (Mary) spoke of the difference between vanity and pride. As we all know, I am a very proud person. I am also compassionate, so it is not like I am self centered...but I have been called vain by some people. Mary's character said that her observtions were that pride is simply enjoyment in one's accomplishments, whereas vanity was like...needing other people to think that you were wonderful, or something along those lines. let;s see what the dictionary says...

proud |proud| adjective 1: feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one's own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated

vain |vān| adjective 1: having or showing an excessively high opinion of one's appearance, abilities, or worth example: their flattery made him vain.

Notice...in the exmple for vain, it involves other peopel. I am proud without needing people to tell me all my good characteristics...it really bites when people say you are vain, especially when you know they are wrong. I mean, who know you better than yourself? And then, when that person tries to make up with you and is all like, oh, well how's life? I think we should try to be friends, and then that person goes behind your back and talks about how silly you are...


ok, Sarah, calm down.

if anybody knows who I am talking about, but wants to comment about something else, please leave the persons name out because I would like to post your thoughts, but am keeping names out of it.

Thankyou, your thoughts are valued.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it ody~ u r liek one of hte only ppl ik htat is actually happy and proud of who she is, how she acts, and how she looks so even htough its true its rare. ppl who act like u describe as in calling u vain or stuckup or self centered r just jealous and insecure. ik who ur talking about and uk im right. they talk about u bc htey have nothing better to talk about. none of htese reasons make it ok for this person to talk bad about u but its a reason none the less