December 25, 2007

Sweeney Todd

I just went to see it in theatre. Amazing movie. Great cast. Directed by Tim Burton, starring Johnny Depp as the title role, with supporting actors Helena Bonham Carter (who I absolutely adore), Alan Rickman (Professor Snape to the young ones, Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility to the young ladies), and Sacha Baron Cohen (also known as Borat). They all sing their own parts, and although Johnny Depp isnt exactly a broadway performer, I thought he did quite a good job. If you go to my profile and click on my myspace, i have a song that he sings as my profile song. All the actors did a great job. I cried at the end. I approached it as a love story, that is all I will say. It's to be expected with me, being such a romantic and all. The sound track is great. It is rated R for violence, and though the whole blood spurting thing is there, it is highly stylized. It's not like people being blown up by bombs, it obviously adds to the story.

So I recommend it. and I leave you with the opinion that Johnny Depp is smoking hot, even as a whacked out barber.

Oh, note to Cpt. Sparrow fans...the eyeliner has returned. Enjoy, loves.

Also, having now bought a few of the songs, I have decided that despite my general hate of Broadway, I would absolutely LOVE to play Mrs. Lovett in a stage production. Her character is so...creepy, but...real. So real. And her music, her vocal part, is so...weird. The harmonies in such songs as My Friends are absolutely wonderful.

No comments: