December 12, 2007

The terms that I hate. Part I.

So in my dealing with people, in my conversations, in my readings, I have come across things I really can't stand. Terms and words and phrases and punctuation marks. I give you now a beginning of a list of terms i hate. Part 1.

-Semicolons. I know this one is used a lot, but they really bug me. Just...annoying. The weird bit is that I use them a lot. I mean a looot. I quote Kurt Vonnegut:

"If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don’t have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you’ve been to college."

-Complexes and Disorders: In all my talkings with Dan, I have realized that i dont really like the whole classifying people into different disorders. I mean, disease I can understand, but with the mind, how can you get so specific that you can group two minds together into one group? Isn't the mind so individual (unless you've been brainwashed by aliens, of course) that it should be nye impossible to group them together under one basic label.

-the word Analyze: It's so useful, which is annoying, but it seem so objective and impersonal.

-The words mature and immature: Again, useful at times, but it is hard to be clear about whether you mean it to have positive or negative connotations.

-Backpacks: another very very useful thing, but they bug me because they make my dresses ride up when I wear them.

-The spelling of weird. "I before E except after C", right? WRONG.

SO that concludes my list of terms that I hate part 1, and here is another quote that i love...

"I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now? "
--John Lennon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don’t have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you’ve been to college."

-Kurt Vonnegut

Anonymous said...

ping